Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!!

I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55520

• argohunter
  • Thank you received: 70
I can't believe what was found today!!!! Clovis baby!!!!!Well, we took a family trip to the lake this weekend, my 4 year old, my old lady, our puppy and me. I grubbed up a couple of Gary points and some brokes yesterday. We went back to the lake today. My girlfriend tried arrowhead hunting with me for the second time ever. Right off the bat she got a point with a busted tip. We moved spots and are some lunch on the beach. Me and my son started grubbing. Stephanie got upset because she had left her book in the truck. She crawled out in the water and set down beside me. She then made clear we wouldn't find anything because there were not any rocks there. Right after she said that she got a funny look on here face. I asked her what she bad found then held this point up and asked if she did good. I still can't believe she found this. Her 3rd arrowhead ever. I'm calling it a Clovis. Anybody else have another name for it?

2012-07-1519.35.39.jpg

100MEDIA95IMAG1025.jpg

100MEDIA95IMAG1014.jpg

2012-07-1519.35.49.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55521

• argohunter
More pictures and the other finds.

2012-07-1608.36.27.jpg

2012-07-1608.35.57.jpg

2012-07-1514.19.28.jpg

2012-07-1612.02.16.jpg

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55522

• Paleolution
  • Thank you received: 277
WOW! That is a killer find, what luck she has! Sounds like a great day at the lake, and the finding a priceless relic is a nice bonus!

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55524

• 11KBP
  • Thank you received: 416
Very nice! :)

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55525

• gregszybala
  • Smile, it won't hurt!
  • Thank you received: 2636
Chris, great find and looks like you need to take her on every hunt!
Not doubting you, but do you think it could be something other than a Clovis? Doesn't have the classic look to it.

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55528

• argohunter
gregszybala wrote:
Chris, great find and looks like you need to take her on every hunt!
Not doubting you, but do you think it could be something other than a Clovis? Doesn't have the classic look to it.

It could be something else. I've been told Clovis, Redstone, fluted Allen. It could be any thing like that. Do u have any idea on it? Thanks for the help.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: gregszybala

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55529

• panaggie
  • Thank you received: 202
I don't believe it's Clovis. It's too far south for Allen and it's too far west for Redstone. What I do think you have is a class A Plainview. Super find and just an awesome piece. Thanks for the look. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on your piece. It is a super find.
Thanks Bob

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55535

• Hoss
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3283
Nice point man. You Texas guys have all the luck!

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55538

• rmartin
  • Thank you received: 3681
I am no Paleo expert but if it was found up here I would call it Redstone and they are much rarer than Clovis. Whatever you decide it is a very nice one! Get pics and congrats to your Lady.
Sometimes I can.....sometimes I can't

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55547

• Hoss
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3283
My first impression was Redstone too but then you are too far west. That point is a great find in any event. Keep us posted on your final opinion please.

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55558

• chase
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3143
no matter what it is that is one killer point.
Chase
Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55564

• CMD
  • Thank you received: 3029
Chris, first off, killer point. I'm no expert, but for the heck of it I checked one of my favorite referances: Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States(1987) by Noel Justice. Here is what he says regarding the distribution of Redstone points: "Present information suggests that the distribution of the type is primarily confined to the South in an area including southern Missouri, northern Texas, and Alabama." He shows a distribution map, which includes northernmost east Texas. Does not include the panhandle. Also includes southern Oklahoma. From your profile info, it looks like you live in the part of Texas included. If his info is correct. Distribution map also includes most of Arkansas and northern Mississippi and Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky, southern Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. If he's right about Texas, it could be a Redstone as it sure does look like one.

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55570

Looks like a fluted Allen to me. The flute keeps it from being so many things that it sure looks like it could be. How thick is it? I'd say as another said a Plainview, but the flute keeps it "supposedly" from being a Plainview. I'd send it off to get papered by Rogers. Where did you find it? I think a couple of more pictues of your girlfriend holding the point might help us figure it out. :woohoo:

Congratulatons,
J.

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55571

and something to keep in mind when typing it is how deep that basal notch is.

Re: I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!! 2 years 1 month ago #55572

One more thing, are we sure that is an intentional flute? Doesn't look quite as smooth as a flute should be. If its not, hands down Plainview. But, check out my sigpic. That is a Plainview. Looks quite different huh?
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds